Saturday, January 18, 2014

Due Date Deliveries

I woke up Tuesday morning at 7:45 am like any other morning (except thankful that I was able to sleep in a little since we were all sick) without an inkling of the excitement to come.  I got a few things done and then I was cuddling with Hannah and Ethan on the couch while they watched cartoons.  My contractions started at about 8:15 am but I didn't think too much about them.  Partly because in my head I was waiting for my water to break not contractions to start (like Hannah and Ethan- my water broke first and contractions started hours later).  I started timing them for fun and noticed that they were 3 and 4 minutes apart from the start.  This continued for another 45 minutes while I got breakfast ready for Hannah and Ethan.  

At 9 am, I figured it was about time to wake Andrew who was also sick.  I phoned the hospital and they told me to come in and we got the kids ready to go to Gama Gama and Papa's house.

The kids were so excited when we told them it was time to go. Hannah literally jumped up and down shouting that I was in labor and that the baby was coming.  Ethan was a little quieter and wanted to know how long I was going to be gone.  

The kids were dropped off and we arrived at the hospital at 11 am.  We were the only ones having a baby at the time and were able to have the same room that both Hannah and Ethan were born in.  This made me very happy and was something I had hoped for all along.  I had a lovely pair of nurses for whom I am very grateful.  The nurses make all the difference in my opinion.  

Things continued to moved very quickly and I was already 5 cm when we arrived.  We were very thankful that we were already at the hospital when my water broke at about 7 cm.  With my fluid levels as high as they were (polyhydramnios) I was happy to avoid the potential cord complications had they ruptured at home.  

The doctor arrived at 2:15 and told me that we would have our baby by 3 pm. He was right. Our baby boy was born at 2:55 pm, weighing 8 lbs 2 oz and measuring 22.5 inches long.  Nathanael David was born on his due date (just like his big sister who was also born on her due date, apparently this is quite rare.  Only about 5% of babies are born on their due dates).  

We are so thankful for God's provision and care.  Nathanael David's name means beloved gift from God and we are privileged to have him as our son and we pray that he will also prove to be a beloved gift to those around him.

Here are some pictures from the day:

The last picture before 2 turns to 3.  Off the the hospital.


Welcome to the world Nathanael.

Getting checked out and, as we suspected, he is PERFECT.

Cuddles with Mommy and Daddy.


Wide awake.

Hannah and Ethan get their first look at Nathanael (or Bethanael if you ask Ethan).

And then there were three!


Hannah doing it "all by myself"!

My mom!

My dad!


My sister!


Off for his first bath.

He is so sweet and little.

Of course he hated the bath because the water was at the requisite level of frigidity (hospital policy).

All ready to go home.

We are all doing well and adjusting to Nathanael, and he to us. Hannah has been super helpful and hands on.  Ethan has been very patient and loving.  He is most excited that I can bend over again and is constantly commenting about it.  My favorite was from last night when I asked if he was happy Nathanael was here.  He replied yes and that he was glad mommy's water was all gone and I could bend down and pick things up. 

Since being home we've been incredibly thankful for all the help we've had. My mom stayed with us for 3 nights, after having already kept Hannah and Ethan for the first night, which was amazing. People from church are bringing us food and continuing to show us the love we have experienced ever since we started there. And we have lots of friends and family praying. Thank you all!

We look forward to the many more adventures to come. 

2 comments:

Liesel Rios said...

Little Nathanael looks very alert and happy to be in the world in these pictures!

NoahRedingEndtoEnd said...

Congratulations on your new arrival:) Welcome to the world baby Nathanael!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...