Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Preschool Week 9

Preschool Week 9

Bible: We read "The Girl No One Wanted" from the Jesus Storybook Bible.  It is the story of Jacob, Leah, and Rachel.  For this story we made a hand print picture (actually cutouts).  My inspiration for this activity came from here at Pocket Full of Posies.  I could not figure out what to do for this craft so I happy when I stumbled across this mom's idea.
Each hand represented Leah and Rachel with Jacob in the middle.

Ethan "needed" to add some details.

Here is Hannah's work of art.  Gotta love the wink.
(Jesus Storybook Bible )



Reading:  We read a variety of our Sonlight books this week.  I think we all enjoyed the poems and prayers from this book.  They are simple with good rhythm and the pictures are very sweet.

Poems and Prayers for the Very Young by Martha Alexander

(Sonlight P3/4)   

Language Arts and Handwriting:  Learning the letter H.  


This also happens to be Hannah's FAVORITE letter.  No surprise right.  You can see from her gigantic smile that she was definitely excited.

Sometimes I just don't know what this boy is thinking about, but he makes me smile.

Practicing their letters.



One of our activities was to decorate a picture of a hat.  Hannah and Ethan both wanted to use the dot markers.


Done!

Finding the "h" sounding pictures.


 (HWT)

Math:  First, we worked on ordinal numbers with our bears.

 
I asked questions about which bear was first, second, or third and they pointed at the correct bear.  Pretty basic but it worked.

Then we placed a "follow the instruction" game.  I would ask Hannah or Ethan to replace the largest bear with a little bear, or change all the orange bears into blue bears.  I made the questions increasingly more complex.  It was a lot of fun.  What I needed to do from the beginning of the game was put a crayon at the start of the line to make it clear where the first bear was located.  They were having a little difficulty remembering where to start counting from.



The second math activity we did was on measurement.

I strung 10 foam blocks onto some string, alternating red and blue.  We used these these to measure some common objects from around the kitchen and living room.

Ethan counting four blocks for the mini read flashlight.

Hannah counted 9 blocks for a brown crayon.  

After using the blocks to count, I showed Hannah and Ethan how to used tape measures and rulers and let them explore thing around the room.  Here is Ethan attempting to measure the door.

Hannah measured the garbage can and Ben's milk cup.

(Compare Bears Maths)
(Montessori at Home(Math Section)

Art:  Hannah and Ethan explored painting on different texured papers.
I glued a piece of tin foil and waxed paper to a larger piece of card stock.  They ended up with three different surfaces to explore.

Hannah liked how the paint beaded and bubbled on the wax paper.  Ethan really liked the smooth texture of the tinfoil.

Science: We have started learning about sound.  We started by talking about all the things we could hear all around us.  


Then we played a guessing game with our instruments.  I lined up a few instruments and had them face away from me.  I would play one of the instruments and they had to guess which one I used.  Pretty easy but they enjoyed it.

It quickly spiraled into lets make as much noise as possible and I left them to their own devices and searched out quiet place.





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...